The transparent waters of the Calore flow in one of the most spectacular scenery of Cilento: Felitto, fusilli pasta PGI town, on the top of its rocky outcrop looks like a natural bulwark perched on San Nicola cliff, between impressive cliffs and thick woods, overlooking the Calore Gorges (in depht). In the river, which in this area allows bathing and canoeing, lives the “Queen of clear water”: the Otter.
Set on the San Nicola Cliff, Felitto looks like a small medieval hamlet, surrounded by towers and walls, of which you can still admire the remains. The perch of Felitto is at the origin of its name (from the Greek "phiulatto", "keep, watch"), but it might also derive from the Latin "filix", "fern", which the undergrowth surrounding the village abounds in. Of remarkable quality is the production of olive oil, wine grapes and fruits. There are several farms with olive presses and livestock recources whereas, among artisan production, there are those of osier for wickerworks and iron to make fusilli pasta.
Along the bridge on the highway leading to the town, we suggest you to visit "u punticieddu", a characteristic medieval stone bridge. The picturesque old town has the appearance of a fortress. In De Augustinis square once stood the “pietra chiatta”, a stone on which people who didn’t pay their debts was forced to sit (bottom naked). Of the feudal Castle remains an imposing 25-meter Keep Tower (Maschio) and other towers’ ruins besides some defence and torture systems. Many houses are dug into the rock, between hiding places and ancient stone portals. Among these, an ancient dwelling in Arabic style. The beautiful church of Santa Maria dell'Assunta (13th century), in Romanesque style, was transferred here in 1546.
In a panoramic position, it has a beautiful arched entrance and a majestic 40-metre Bell Tower with an internal stone staircase. The ancient chapel of San Ciriaco (12th century) has a rectangular shape with half-cylindrical apse. Also noteworthy are the shrine of our Lady of Constantinople, of which a strange legend is handed down, and the chapel of our Lady of the Rosary in the town centre. Interesting is also the collection of the Museum of the Peasant Culture.
Felitto’s medieval bridge
Commonly called "u punticieddu" (a dialect word meaning “little bridge”), it was built in the 12th century and, considering the period and the place of building, it is easy to assume that it was necessary for obvious reasons of practicability, i.e. to facilitate transit to the inland areas. The point chosen to cross the Calore River is a section with steep banks, where two imposing Rocky Spurs, made the passage very difficult and extremely dangerous. A bridge, therefore, necessary not only to put together two municipalities, Felitto and Castel San Lorenzo, but also to made possible to reach other towns of commercial interest. The bridge is 5 meters high and 20 m long.
Museum of the Peasant Culture
Info: 0828/945268 - 0828/945649
Many everyday household items, some dating back to the beginning of the 1700, are collected and arranged on two levels in an ancient mansion of Felitto’s town centre. It has been established with the aim of collecting, preserving and perpetuating the memory of objects of rural civilization’s everyday life. The appearance of domestic environments has been recreated in every room, from the kitchen to the bedroom, with original furniture and objects recovered from ancient houses.