At the Western borders of Palomonte, towards the foothills of the Alburni there was an old road that connected Southern Italy to the central regions. This is where Santa Maria Della Sperlonga’s monument is placed. It dates back to the 4th or 5th century and in 1040 was mentioned for the first time in a document.
When in 1930 an imposing altar was taken away, various frescoes of the 11th century appeared. On the top register is portrayed the Virgin Hodegetria, venerated in Costantinople and all over Southern Italy. It is a proof that Greek monks have settled here, perhaps to escape prosecutions. The church, that is in renovation, will become soon a museum.
The museum of Santa Maria della Sperlonga, a shrine dating back to the 4th -5th century;
The church of Madre Santa Croce, with colonnades of the Aragonese period and a wonderful façade of the 1700’s.
The church Paleocristiana, dating between 5th and 7th century; it has inlaid columns at whose feet wonderful mythological animals are painted.
The Convent of the Friars Capuchin, built up between 1582 and 1602, it has got a beautiful cloister and two magnificent chapels dedicated to Saint Mary of the Angels and Saint Joseph. The convent is presently the municipal building.
History of Palomonte
The town centre is on the hillside. The origins of Palomonte are uncertain and related to ancient legends, except for the place name : Pal or Palo is a Proto-Indo-European word that means “rock”. It is known that, after Italian Unification, with a decree of Victor Emmanuel II, the word “Monte” (mountain) was added to the name “Palo” and it definitively became Palomonte .