The village: "Pompei of the 2000"
The history of Roscigno is the same of that of small medieval villages of Cilento’s inland.
Born as agro-pastoral settlement, in a safe location on the hills, the village has been far from the commercial and military routes for years. However, it was victim of feudal exploitation too, besides traumatic events such as a bad landslide, which forced all the population to move continually to safer areas, and emigration that, since World War II has largely contributed to the village’s depopulation.
Landslides forced the inhabitants to move several times. The first urban settlement was downstream, near the Rivers Ripiti and Fasanella, whose waters caused the landslide itself that, since 16th century, has forced people to move northward.
In 1907 and 1908, civil engineer established the evacuation of the village and ordered to build new houses only upstream, in a safer area: a slow transfer of residents, who did not want to leave their village, began.
In fact, there never was a complete abandonment: every day peasants and animals going to the fields repopulate the old town, and people still meet in the town square whereas homes have become warehouses.
Inside the former clergy house and the old town hall there is, today, the Museum of peasant culture: about five hundred pieces sorted by working cycles and arranged according to the modern exhibition criteria. The collection is currently divided into six rooms, each one dedicated to one or more aspects of the local tradition: the cycle of vine and wine, the olives and olive oil, the breeding and cheese making, the cultivation, the cycle of corn, the harvesting, the manufacture of wool.
All the production processes are shown in a succession of rooms, with the integration of photographs, captions, charts, maps and historical documents.
The Museum has a good collection of historic photographs, a small historical archives and video documents.
The exhibition do not reconstructs with naive realism the past life, but it tries to show the history and function of objects, and also the various transformations’ steps through the arrangement of the pieces and the rooms.
The Museum is open every day 09 am- 01 pm
On Saturday and Sunday 09 am - 1 pm and 3 - 5 pm
For any information phone +390828963377