Your browser does not support SVG
Enjoy your holidays in wonderful South Italy: Cilento National Park.

Villammare

Sito web: nd
Scheda realizzata grazie al contributo di:
Mimmo Benivento

It is the ancient "Petrasia", Greek place name that refers to a group of houses built close to the sea at the mouth of the Rio Cacafava ... Located in the middle of the Gulf of Policastro, it is in the municipality of Vibonati (in fact it is commonly called “marina di Vibonati”) and has two thousand citizens. The original small fishermen’s village, built around the Church of Madonna di Portosalvo, in late 1950s had a significant urban development.

 


Villammare during summer changes into a colorful and lively town of almost 15,000 people, thanks to tourists who choose it as a place of calm and relaxation, with crystal-clear sea (blue flag awarded), a wide beach (going from Sapri to Capitello for 6 km) and a strategic location, in the middle of the Gulf of Policastro, halfway between two splendid coasts: the Masseta and the Maratea coast (in Basilicata).

 

 

Beaches
The small rocky cape, on which stands the ancient Petrosa Tower, divides Villammare coast in two: west, Villammare’s beach and its pretty promenade and the beach of S. Maria li Piani; east, towards Sapri, Marinella Park Beach and dell’Oliveto beach: all sandy beaches with sea Lily. Dell’ Oliveto beach is a good example of Mediterranean dune. The water is rich in Posidonia oceanic that is a quality indicator: in fact Villammare has been awarded the blue flag. The presence of dune vegetation contributed to the establishment of a cultural center and teaching laboratory located in Marinella, where they study biodiversity and the Mediterranean scrub.

 

 

Art – history attractions
The old fishermen’s village of Villammare is rich in historical attractions, such as the Petrosa Tower, an ancient square shaped tower, built by the viceroy of Naples in 1595, to defend people from Saracen raids, and part of a series of fortifications developed along the Tyrrhenian coast. Small fishermen’s houses and mansions alternate along the beautiful tree-lined promenade around the Church of Santa Maria di Portosalvo, patron saint of the town celebrated on the second Sunday of August. Our Lady’s statue is carried in procession by local fishermen on a boat, followed by gozzi, typical local boats.

 

An important event is held in September: Villammare Film Festival, short film festival for young artists, featuring internationally renowned actors. Worthy of mention the literary prize "Torre Petrosa" held in August. Curiosity: some historians argue Villammare’s beach, dell’ Oliveto beach, welcomed on June 28th 1857 the steamship "Cagliari" with Carlo Pisacane and his three hundred soldiers.